I’ll admit, I thought it was selfish of me to hoard the knowledge of the best experiences the Nation’s Capital has to offer. As many people know, Washington, D.C. is evolving into a lively city, booming with businesses and a delicious foodie scene (aka the sole reason I moved here) – a place beyond the iconic history, monuments and political drama.
As an official D.C. resident for almost a year now (time flies), and even MORE visitors, reference (Klo’s Top 10 D.C. Spots), I’ve experienced the highs and lows D.C. has to offer (mostly highs, although I can’t forgo mentioning the pain of the metro and summer heat). I’ve listed out some of my favorite experiences, and would highly recommend all of them to visitors and locals alike.
Note: there are so many amazing things to do, I had to break it up into two blogs!
1. Watch your drink fog up at Jose Andres’ cocktail lab, Barmini
Floral cloud with liquid nitrogen is a MUST
2. Just keep spinning with Capital Bike Share
A fun, fast and low cost option for getting around town. One of my bike route go-to’s is the sidewalks around the National Mall. Even though I’d declare myself a city girl, I don’t think I’ll ever be brave enough to face the the chaotic city streets by bike.
Start at Lincoln Memorial and make your way to the pond in front of the capitol – all sidewalk friendly, disclaimer, you will have to ring at the bell at some lingering tourists in the way
3. Jam out to some Jazz in the Sculpture Garden (attached to the National Gallery of Art)
Every Friday, sangria and beer are available for purchase, and no outside alcohol is allowed in. Be sure to bring picnic supplies: blanket, easy packable snacks (my fave: cheese, grapes, crackers + jam)
4. Make monumental memories renting a pedal or swan boat overlooking the Jefferson Memorial in the Tidal basin
During cherry blossom season, you’re able to reserve boats in advance.
$18.00 per hour – 2 passenger boat
$30.00 per hour – 4 passenger boat
$34.00 per hour – 2 passenger swan boat
5. Play D.C. themed mini golf in a bar at H Street Country Club
Drinks + mini golf, is there really a better activity?
6. Buy local produce, bread, cheeses and other goodies at Dupont Circle Farmers Market
A farmers market which the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times of London named one of the top farmers markets in the country.
Sundays, 10am to 1pm (January to March)
Sundays, 8:30am to 1:30pm (April to December)
7. Channel your inner creativity with a class at Lemon Bowl
From calligraphy, to photography classes, to learning how to apply make up – Lemon Bowl has a variety of things to fuel your creative soul! After your class, replenish your energy with food at NuVegan Cafe, a vegan soul-food bistro
8. Watch a movie outside with free screenings around the DMV area
We’re considered outdoorsy for watching a movie in the fresh air, right? Check out the full schedule of outdoor screenings here.
9. Watch dessert set on fire before eating it
Save room for dessert when dining at RPM, Bill and Giuliana Rancic’s Italian Restaurant.
What the heck is it?? It’s torta meringata which is flambéd tableside.
10. Escape city life at Rock Creek Park
Favorite hiking trails: Valley Trail, Western Ridge Trail and Military Road NW
What are your favorite things to do in DC? Comment below!